The work of early intervention (EI) is complex, challenging at times, and lots of fun. You meet different families, work in homes and other community settings, watch infants and toddlers grow and learn, and yes – spend a lot of time in your car. This podcast is designed so EI practitioners like you can easily listen between visits or on breaks during your busy day. Each episode focuses on an important topic that is discussed by two experienced EI professional development specialists who have also been service coordinators, service providers, and parents of children enrolled in EI. Listen often to learn, reflect on your practices, and hear a few tips to do the work you do well even better.
This podcast is a collaborative effort of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (through a contract with the Partnership for People with Disabilities/VCU).
To subscribe or listen to episodes, visit Podbean or find EI on the Fly wherever you follow your favorite podcasts.
Dana Childress, PhD
Early Intervention Professional Development Consultant
Partnership for People with Disabilities, Virginia Commonwealth University
Emily Webb, M.S. ED.
Coordinator of General Supervision Massachusetts Department of Public Health
This 8-episode series focuses on how to implement functional assessment (also called authentic assessment) in the context of early intervention (EI). We introduce functional assessment then discuss important components of the process, such as observation, asking meaningful questions, and active listening. We also discuss implicit biases in assessment, how functional assessment fits into the initial assessment and Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) development, and how to use ongoing functional assessment during service delivery.
Episodes will be released monthly so check back often or subscribe!
- Episode 1 - What is Functional Assessment and Why Does It Matter? (Run time: 32:37)
- Episode 2 - Intentional Observation (Run time 30:44)
- Episode 3 - Asking Meaningful Questions (Run time 43:03)
- Episode 4 - Active Listening (Run time 27:10)
- Episode 5 – Implicit Bias (Run time 36:56)
- Episode 6 - Functional Assessment and the Initial IFSP (Run time 39:48)
- Episode 7 - Ongoing Functional Assessment (Run time 34:56)
- Episode 8 - What Functional Assessment Means to Supervisors, Practitioners, and Families (Run time 20:01) - NEW!